Friday, September 24, 2010

Happy Pumpkin Jack Birthday Phillip!

Phillip blowing out the candles. When asked what he wished for, he said, "I wished that I can eat cake." Phillip is SO PRACTICAL!

Pumpkin Jack cake. Rolled fondant over buttercream. Do I dare take credit? It was late last night after I had spread the buttercream and I was getting the fondant dirty. Pete stepped in and was a lot better at this more precise type of decorating.

Spook Alley. It was a little too scary for some of the kids. I made them reach their hands in an african kist for 'eyeballs' (grapes) and 'brains' (spegetti).


Playing pumpkin ... pumpkin ... pumpkin ... pumpkin JACK!!

The wig and hat race. Who knew that I had a good collection of dress ups!

So here's a look at Phillip's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th birthdays. All I can think is that he has grown up so quick. Or has he always been a grown up and his looks are just changing? He is always surprising me with the things that he says. He has such a mature personally for a now 5-year-old. We are pretty casual with shoes in the house. But, if friends come over Phillip, makes them take their shoes off. He only lets me get one treat at the grocery store. (since when does the 'ONLY ONE TREAT' rule apply to me?!)

Some funny Phillip Stories:
  • I was trying to get him to memorize or at least read the primary scripture for August. 2 Nephi 27:33. I told Phillip repeat after me ... "For behold, I am God, and I am a God of miracles..." Phillip: "For behold, I am God ... I'm NOT God." I tried to explain that the scripture was Heavenly Father speaking for himself to the prophet. I tried again. Phillip: "For Behold, I'm God ... Mommy, I'm NOT God. I know who God is ... He is my Heavenly Father".
  • Phillip refused cotton candy and a cookie one night because he had ice cream earlier and he said, "Only ONE treat!"
  • Phillip keeps talking about his baby brother 'Tardan' who is 0 years old. (THIS IS NOT AN ANNOUNCEMENT :-)
  • We had had a long day at church, both Lily and Amelia were screaming and we decided to leave 15 minutes early. Phillip said in the parking lot, "That is the LAST TIME! We are supposed to stay until it's finished!"
  • One time, when leaving sacrament meeting, Phillip announce really loud, "That was a good show."
Phillip we love you! You make life fun! You even make me more responsible ... can you imagine it!! "Mom, you forgot your purse!" he said as I left my purse in a shopping aisle at Smiths.

8 comments:

alison said...

Glad we couldn't make it. I don't know if I could handle all your creative party ideas.

RayAnne said...

I can't believe Phillip is already 5. Time flies! I love the cake. Your kids are lucky to have such a talented cake decorator. My kids get cakes baked in 9 x 13 pans with store bought frosting slopped on top! I love all of Phillip's cute comments. What a fun little guy to have around!

Mommymita said...

You and Pete make a good decorating team! I really like Phillip stories and I think it won't be too long before Phillp starts telling "Mom" stories about you Cathy.

Happy Birthday Phillip! Don't forget to tell your mom to clean the grapes and spaghetti out of the spook alley or it might start to stink!

Christina, knick name Bina said...

So cute!! I can't wait to hear his reaction to Disney World. Ally loved the "Skeleton Cake." She also wondered why she couldn't go. LOVE your decorations but do you ever scare yourself in your own house?? Does Pete ever pop out from behind the skeletons and make you cry? (When Scott and I were first married he popped out and I sobbed, didnt try that again.) GO CATHY!!! By the Way...was it hard not to use prinkles on your cake, or are the sprinkles strictly for cupcakes? (Asked the amature pastry decorator).

Suz said...

Cathy - your cakes get better every year. Why don't you blow $600 on the cricut fondant cutter. So cool!

Mommily said...

Cute cake!!! I love the Phillip stories too--he such character. It is amazing how they all come born with their own little personalities.

Munchy's Mama said...

Dayton and Phillip told me ALL about this Jack Skellington party...it must have been the talk of the day care and I can see why! (o=

Mary Mary said...

You are such a good mom...making cakes and documenting your child's life! Can I contract you for cake baking too? Happy Birthday Phillip!