Monday, September 21, 2009

Indiana Jones Birthday Party
































Phillip wanted a 'Snake' and 'Indiana Jones' party. Phillip is known for changing his mind. I had everything figured out and this morning he said he wanted a 'Transformers' party. Luckily he conceded with having a 'Snake, Indiana Jones, and Transformers' party. ha!

I had too many 'good' ideas. ha! I thought it would be nice to have some middle eastern food to eat. I had hummus from Costco and made tabbouleh. I wanted to keep things simple, but I ended up making pita bread from scratch because I needed a lot and they only had 5 pita bread at the store for $4 and they don't taste that good. I used this recipe from my sister, Becca's blog. (I didn't do whole wheat ... I need to get my grinder working :-) I also had falafel, cucumber yogurt sauce, grapes, oranges, and my mom brought a HUGE veggie tray :-).

I think the favorite game was the digging in the sand. We purchased sand especially for the party. I filled the sand box with fake gold coins and snakes. The rule was that if they got 10 coins or dug up a snake their turn was over. After everyone had a turn they all went at it and were busy digging for about 20 minutes.

We had a pinata and everyone got to swing on a jungle vine (Frisbee swing).

Anywho, I think the cake was one of the highlights. I got the idea from this site. Pete's sister made a cake with the barbie skirt pan. I made two chocolate layers to go underneath. I carved the cake to look like a mountain. The inside of the dome cake had a plastic cup. I added the figurines and the logo from the figurine package. When it was time to serve, I broke up the dry ice and put the piece of cake on top. I added luke-warm water to make the smoke. I think Phillip's expression is priceless.

It was a great party! Thanks to everyone who came!

5 comments:

Emily said...

Looks great!! I am sad Joseph is at school all day and unable to go to the day parties/activities. What is Pete deep frying? I am impressed with the spread of exotic food. Love the cake!!!!

Becca said...

Cathy - that looks like it was an awesome party. I wish we could have been there. Too bad Anthony is sick. I really love the volcano cake.

Pete thought it was weird to have the middle eastern spread at a 4-year-old party, but it looks delicious. Also, it goes along great with the Indiana Jones theme - considering where the movie takes place.

Can't wait until your next party!

Penny said...

Can't you do it on a day I can come next time?!?! The girls loved it! Thanks for letting them go! Happy Birthday Phillip! We love you!

RayAnne said...

Happy Birthday Phillip! You're lucky to have a mom that makes such great birthday cakes!

Dad Wirthlin said...

I heard it was pretty scary! Can't imagiine what the halloween party will be like

Love, Dad