Friday, November 06, 2009

NewBorn Photo Shoot - How To

I sometimes feel guilty that I don't take my kids to get their picture taken that often. However, the cost and the stress of it all makes me think I can do it on my own at home. I did get some cute pictures of Amelia the other day. Here are some of my tips :-)

1. Align the stars -
Make sure:
  • Older kids are away or occupied
  • You are rested and not too tired (you don't want to start bawling because of a bad photo-shoot :-)
  • The baby is fed and burped
  • If possible, get a helper
I took my pictures while Pete took Phillip and Lily to church. :-) Thanks Pete!

2. Find a good location

I got this idea after paying for a photo-shoot at Kiddie Kandids. I pulled the bottom cushion away from the couch and added extra pillows for support:














Once the Pillows were set up, I draped a sheet over the couch and propped Amelia in the corner of the couch.

3. Have good lighting

A flash never looks very good for portraits:









Use a couch that is close to a window that gets a lot of light. If there isn't a couch, you can always drape a blanket or sheet over a car seat and put the baby where there is good lighting.

Use a reflector to fill in face shadows. I tried to do this by myself, but it was a little difficult. Get a helper to hold a mirror or piece of tin-foil to bounce the natural light onto the face.

4. Use the continuous shutter option

If your camera has the option, take the picture with the continuous shutter enabled. Little babies are cute but they can do some funny things with their hands in a split second:














4. Delete bad pictures. Pick out your favorite and add any effects. I always like black and white pictures.





6 comments:

Becca said...

You are a great photographer! Amelia looks so precious! Thanks for the tips.

Paige said...

Love them! She is so beautiful:)

Elizabeth said...

Cute pictures!! You have always been my very multi-talented friend!!

Penny said...

And my tip of the day is....:
Get Cathy to take your pictures :) Then it takes away ALL stress from me! LOL Love ya babe!
Super cute pics! She's adorable! A lot like her Aunt Penny! :)

Mommymita said...

Great tips! She is a little bug

Can you do an Illustrator tutorial next?

Suz said...

She is so cute I could just eat her up. My best baby pictures were taken by you. Good tip to delete the rat-looking ones!