Saturday, June 20, 2009

Saturday Morning Ritual: Garage Sales


Well, this morning we were out the door with both kids at 8:00 AM.  We usually start south in North Salt Lake and make our way north to Centerville.  There is a girl in my neighborhood who goes garage sale shopping every week too, and we usually see her.  On our way to Bountiful we will stop at the Corner 22 gas station and get a fountain drink and some treats for us and the kids.  

Because of other plans and Pete working, we haven't been able to go garage sale shopping for a long time.  We definitely made up for it today!!

My favorite finds:
  • American girl bitty baby doll with a carrier and outfits ($10).  Lily was reaching for it and I let her hold it for a little bit.  When we were leaving I had to take it away from her and she had a FIT!! I realized it was an American girl doll, and then I probably wanted it more than Lily.  I'm saving it to give to her before the baby comes.
  • Trampoline ($50) - It's a pretty big one and was in really good shape.  The kids are a little young now, but I'm sure they will like it!
  • Little table and chairs ($5) - I really like the colors even though it's a little worn.  I debating whether or not to paint it into a little girl table.  
  • Animated Scripture Series ($10) - I was about to buy the same thing at a garage sale for $70 a few weeks ago, but couldn't justify it.  I saw it again and bought it.  It wasn't a complete collection but was glad to have most of the videos.  We then saw another garage sale that was selling them for 25 cents a piece and I was able to complete my collections. Even-though it's VHS, I'm glad to have them.  
  • A sled - free - I wanted to go sledding with the kids last January and couldn't find one at the store.  Now we have one for next year.
Pete's favorite finds:
  • Weedwacker - He got 2 for $2.  He got two in case there were missing parts and he needed to fix it.  This is something we were going to go out and buy
  • A animated nativity music box - We both love christmas stuff!  We tried it out and it has all of the pieces and Phillip was fascinated with it.
We got even more stuff from Pete's sister's garage sale: Bike kid seat, extra car seat, and some baby toys.  I also bought some little toys, spider-man t-shirts, a chicken salt-and-pepper shakers (something EVERYONE needs) and a pair of shoes for Lily.

Wow! what a day!  

6 comments:

Shmacque said...

Lily always has the CUTEST Shoes!! If I had a little girl I would have been tempted to take them!! (umm Lily "lost" her shoes again) I am excited for Yard Sale season, I don't get to enough of them but hearing about everyones great finds motivates me.

Hyrum and Stacey Taft said...

I just love reading about all your garage sale treasures! Sounds like you guys hit the jackpot today. We miss you guys!

Mommymita said...

What a great morning. We headed out but it is hard to bring things home we you are technically homeless.

I always have great luck when Paul comes along. We got out too late though. We did get some shoes for Clara and the kids each picked up a beanie baby even though we really didn't need either.

I'm most jealous of the Bitty Baby. Lily has fine taste

Penny said...

Garage Salers and DI really LOVE you guys! I can't believe all the finds you guys always get! That's so fun! I'll just send my kids over to play with all your stuff! :) Love it!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for inspiring me to try this soon! :) How's it going Cath?!

Emily said...

Cathy--you had a great day!!!! Your kids will love the trampoline!!! It is our most used thing in our yard. Our kids like to sleep out on it, picnic on it, they put the sprinkler under it, jump, etc. I kind of wish you took a picture of all your findsl