Saturday, October 18, 2008

Trip to Michigan

.


Pete wanted to take a training course and his work would pay for the travel, so we decided to go to Michigan where I grew up. Pete had never been to Michigan before, so it was fun to have the family see all of the sights.

We stayed at the Dearborn Inn for two days while Pete was at his classes. I took Phillip to the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. I was excited to see my favorite car, the Oscar Mayer Wiener car. Phillip has a grumpy face in the picture because he was yelling at the guy taking the picture saying, "That's Mommy's Camera!"

We went to a trick-or-treat event at Greenfield village. They had witches and over 5000 Jack-O-Lanterns. It was really cool. Phillip's favorite was the skeletons playing the Xylo-bones.

I'd say the highlight of our trip was going to the farm. Bryan got out all of the toys and Phillip had fun riding the 4-wheeler. He was so worn out from all of the fun he fell asleep during our family ride. We picked apples at the neighboring far from their orchard and made apple cider. Pete loved the cider and kept drinking glass after glass, eventhough there was a chance he would get sick from all of that juice!

Phillip was so excited to play with Nick, his cousin. He kept forgetting his name and would say, "Where did that boy go?"

I'd say the lowlight of the trip was how disoriented I was. I could not figure out where I was going half of the time. I even had to call for directions to go to church. Ga'ak! I kept telling Pete I only had about a mile radius of where I would drive.

We drove by and saw all of my schools, we drove by our old house. We also went to the Franklin Cider Mill. It was funny being back in Michigan. It has been almost 10 years since I lived there. Some things haven't changed and some things were so different.

It was a great trip and the kids did really good. We'll have to go again and meet up with Mark and Mary next time.

6 comments:

Paige said...

Cathy,
Sounds like a fun trip. Phillip is so funny. I can just hear him say "That's Mommy's camera!" I love the weiner car! I think that ought to be your next investment vehicle. I can imagine only you driving around the family in the weiner mobile!! ha ha You'd be the hit. All the kids would want to drive with you!! Glad you could take Pete on a trip of memory (or lack of memory) lane!! LOL Paige

Emily said...

Cathy--I guess you know your family is large when you don't even know when a sister has left the same state you live in. How fun you were able to go to MI. Sounds like you had fun. I love the pictures!!! YOu need to give me photography lessons.

Mommymita said...

You've sold us....sounds like a great place to live now can you sell our house?

Phillip is funny about the camera

Did Pete get sick?

Did you go to Leo's?

Do you think the farm is one of those 'great place to visit but wouldn't want to live there places'?

It is funny you got lost.

sunshine family said...

Cathy-

Don't feel too bad - I got disoriented trying to show Kaley's parents around Grosse Point, Downtown Detroit, and Dearborn - those were unchartered territories growing up. Dad always said, "Downtown Detroit ... I'm never going down there without a gun!"

Mary said...

We were at the farm on Saturday. NIck said, "You know Phillip?".. "He was here."

I can't tell you how sad I was to miss you guys

Becca said...

I was the one who got the 7 a.m phone call "Where is lone pine in relation to Maple?" I just said "north and I'll talk to you later." It was too early in the morning to realize how funny it was that you were lost that close to home.

The pictures look great. Andrew saw the picture of the farm and he said he wants to go there.

Sounds like a fun trip....mmm... the cider mill!