Saturday, May 10, 2008

Got 'er Done!


Well, the most common comment about our house from neighbors is, "I never noticed that house before." The old owner was a little bit of a recluse and the way they had their yard and porch definitely was not very inviting.

1. Remove trellis (Pete's dad did this right as the old owner was packing up).

2. Paint the door black (it was Maroon before)

3. Make black shutters for large and small window

4. Paint Porch. They had a green and black marble effect which was really ugly.

5. Dig up Bed and get some rocks. We saved all of the perennials and had a rock company come in and excavate the dirt, place the rocks, and dig up some really big root balls.

6. Re-plant all of the perennials before they died! I was getting stressed about where to plant things. There is so much to think about .. how big will this get, when will it flower .. WHAT IS IT?! Pete wanted to clean up the mess so I GOT 'ER DONE :-)
I started with the big plants and gradually went to the smaller plants. My strategy was to fill the empty spots. We'll see how it goes.

I also planted my vegetable garden. I didn't have a tiller, so I dug up some dirt with a shovel, and mixed it in with the compost. I still need to cover the dirt with dead leaves and newspaper to prevent weeds and get stakes for all of the tomatoes. But at least I GOT 'ER DONE!

4 comments:

Mommymita said...

Wow- how old is Lilly? Good work Cathy you've come a long way since those Saturdays in MI when you'd sit inside all day watching TV

Cannon Fam said...

House is lookin' good! What's up with the chickens? You guys are brave! It's funny 'cause your little Lily looks a lot like ours! Too cute! It is fun to dress up girls, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Cathy,
I need your motivation. Haven't quite got to our planting this year. The house and rocks look fabulous!! I drove by the other day on my way to help Joe!! Looking good in the neighborhood!!

Emily said...

Cathy--You need to blog when it all is in bloom. We should swap perennial starts sometime.