Friday, March 11, 2011

First Yard Sale of the Season!




Pete and I had a great day in the Sun at Canyons! We came upon a run that was called 'Yard Sale'!' Notice Pete is pointing to 'experts only' sign. Yes, it was a double black run, but it could have another meaning as well ... 'expert Yard Salers' only!

Do's and Don't's if yard saling.


1. Don't leave items unattended ... Even if you have paid for them! If you have to get a bigger car, leave someone with the stuff. If you have a pile of stuff .. keep someone buy it. Other 'expert' garage salers have bought and taken from our pile of 'treasures' many times! ;-)
2. Do get out there early. Early bird gets the best deal!
3. Don't forget to check in! Always have your cell phone with you in case a friend or neighbor calls you about the item that you might want.
4. Do make a wish list! And this is where I get philosophical ... Make a list of things you would like to find or get ... If you want, tell your fellow yard saler friends. Like Oprah says, put it out in the Universe and you will find it ... ;-)
5. Don't overspend or waste TOO much time! Keep a budget of time and money. Cash in hand is what you have to spend. Don't shop past 9:00 AM. Breaking either rule should have a REALLY good reason ;-)
6. Don't buy junk! If you won't use it or don't need it, it's not a good deal. However, someone's trash is another persons treasure. I say this to myself because I treasure SO MANY things! I think Pete and I are collectors of odd items and we have to stay clear of 'hoarding' ;-) My favorite thing to do to stop myself from hoarding is to surprise friends and family with some treasures: 5 foot tall stuffed Bugs Bunny and Yosemiti Sam, Playbill from Sigfried and Roy, Porcelain cat dressed in Victorian Clothes ... Treasures for sure!

Well, we are inching to yard sale season! May this be a good year of thrifting to you all!



3 comments:

Mary Mary said...

I can't wait to see some of your finds this year. I think I never yard sale b/c I'm always running when the weather is good. Last year though I brought cash on the run and bought some Leapsters that I ended up reselling for $30.00 profit on craigslist.

Emily said...

Ha Ha Cathy love your rules. Yes I am starting to feel the Yard sale itch. :)

Mommymita said...

I have hit capacity in our home - time to clean out for spring and garage sale season! Great tips and I'll send you my list