Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I'm Fantastic!



Well, this is what you get when you decide to 'work on the side' as a stay-at-home mom. There is an old couple in our ward and they were talking about needing help with their camcorder tapes. Someone that saw my Young Women slideshow recommended me. Well I got their number and gave them a call. It was a really old guy and he was a little hard of hearing. Knowing me and how I mumble on the phone, I don't think he really understood me. I researched online about 2 hours to figure out the best way to help him. I figured it would be easier if we had a DVD recorder. I offered to buy it from Walmart and have them pay me back. But, he was again flustered on the phone and wanted me to see the TV and all of his equipment. At this point he said, "I thought most TV people were guys, I never heard of a girl that knew about TV's." If he only knew...

Anywho, so I drive 8 miles to their house and come to the same conclusion that they need a DVD recorder. They follow me back to Walmart where I help them pick it out. We were waiting for the old guy to pull up the car so I decided I'd pick up some counter cleaner because we were out. As we check out the old lady says, "Let me get this for you ... for all your hard work."

At this point my mind starts racing. What!! I spend 5 hours on this already, and will probably spend another 4 more hours for a bottle of cleaner that cost $1.79. I probably also spent more than $7.00 in gas money! I thought all along that they were going to pay me. I'm pretty sure I talked to the old guy about my hourly rate, but he doesn't seem to be totally with it. Oh well! Live and learn! Be careful who you work for because you may get paid in cleaner ... or meatballs (Wedding Singer reference).

Becca said that I should have gotten a high-end cleaner like Oxy-clean. Pete keeps saying that I'm "Fantastic."

2 comments:

Mommymita said...

Hey Cathy-

How much do I owe you for all your tech support? How's about 5 dishwasher tablets? I'll mail them.

Suz said...

what a FANTASTIC story hee hee