Friday, June 11, 2010

Chickens on the Move!


So, our neighborhood has seen an increase in the rat population. We have set out traps and Pete even got a pellet gun and was successful in one hit and one possible wound. (Pete's a great shot!). Even with our successes, we thought it better to move the chickens to a more rural location until we build a better chicken coupe.

My sister Becca got chickens this easter and is moving up to Charleston, UT (near Heber and Midway). It's a farm property equipped with a chicken coupe and she was nice enough to take our 10 chickens.

I know the chickens have been our schtick, but I guess we can't be defined by our livestock.

Here's a funny video of our minivan packed with 10 chickens, 1 puppy, 3 kids, and 2 adults. We even went to Wingers for dinner. I kept on thinking of funny pranks I could play with the waitress. "Could you fry this one up and take $4 off our check?" After waiting 45 minutes for our meal, we left Wingers without eating ... I kept saying "It would have been faster to pluck and cook our own chicken!" Anyway, here is a tribute to our chickens and "Keepin' it Rural" in Bountiful Utah.




3 comments:

Mommymita said...

Oh I can't help but feel a little envious of Becca's simple life in Heber. At least your chickens are with family.

BTW - what is the trouble of chickens and rats? do the chickens attract them?

Your mini van is much more organized than the Gonzo bus with all his chickens - that is what I was picturing

Cathy said...

Ha! Al, I was thinking of the Muppet Movie with the school bus full of chickens. "moving right along ..."

The problem with our shed is that it isn't raised off the ground and the rats can get to the food. We'll try and figure something out this summer or next summer.

Becca said...

Cathy,
Great video - For some reason it made me cry - maybe its the song you chose, the pregnancy, or anxiety of an upcoming move.

We will take good care of your little hens. I can already tell they are growing on Paul. He went up there tonight and let them run around the yard - he said they loved it.

And don't worry, we will have lots of eggs to share!