Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Gentleman Farmer

Well, it's harvest season. Even though my vegetable garden didn't do so well this year, we are reaping the benefits of our "Easter Chicks." Right now we are getting 4 eggs each day. We still had some Costco eggs in the fridge and they are pretty much the same size. So that is two dozen eggs a week! I will need to start giving away the extra eggs because I don't know how many breakfast casseroles, or quiches I will be able to make! Let me know if you have any good egg recipes.

My dad recently had a blog entry regarding "Farm Genes." I guess we are passing on the great tradition of living off the land. Ha! It's nice to know that we would have fresh eggs even if our electricity went out.

The chickens definitely listen to Pete and respect him as the "Farmer." They are very tame and will even perch on his head or shoulder if he is out working in the yard.

We have "Big Red Hen" and "Little Red Hen." We also have "Patty" and "Selma." Big Red likes to hang out on our Patio and has even snuck inside the house when I wasn't looking. Big Red also likes to lay her eggs in the bottom basket of our double jogger.

I was thinking of all of the sayings that we get from chickens, "Getting your feathers ruffled." This definately happened when I had to jump our neighbors fence and capture a few chickens that were exploring their yard.

"Pecking Order" - Once we got rid of the Rooster (Checkers). (And No, we did not eat Checkers) Big Red stepped up and became the "Ruler of the Roost"

Check out this site for more chicken sayings.

8 comments:

Becky said...

Have you read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver? It's out in paperback right now and is very thought- and action-provoking. It reminds me of you and your farming efforts!

Mommymita said...

Pete is the chicken whisperer

I like the stroller picture but hope you didnt leave it there - you remeber wat happened to Templeton's egg?

As for your bounty wow - we could use a few chickens because we go through one dozen in one breakfast!

RayAnne said...

I'm so impressed. I keep thinking we should get chickens, but then I think again. When Camille was in kindergarten they asked each child to bring an egg to school. Camille brought a brown egg. I happened to be helping that morning, and none of the kids would believe me that it was a chicken egg just like all the white ones. Philip and Lily will be ahead of all the other kindergarteners because they will know that chicken eggs come in all sorts of colors!

Emily said...

Philip should start selling them to the neighbors (mission fund). We buy them from our neighbor's 8 year old daughter every so often. In the winter their chickens do not produce enough to sell. Have you canned any of your fruit in your yard yet? I just canned 45 jars of peaches---who wants cobbler?

Dad Wirthlin said...

Wow that is good procudtion from 4 hens. I like the one that sneaks into the house.

We had chickens at my Dad's farm on Redwood road in Bennion, Utah. We had 200 of them and it was my job to feed them and collect the eggs that Dad sold to the Wirthlin Meat Market.

We had chickens one year at our farm in Michigan. they used to fly up to the rafters of the stable and poop over the saddles in the tack room. The foxes finally got them and the ducks.

Let me know when big red makes it into the chicken soup pot!

Love Dad

Becca said...

I am so jealous of your fresh chicken eggs. Last year I tried to convince Paul that we should get chickens. He thought I was totally crazy that I wanted chickens. But I told him that the eggs are much healthier and more convenient. He told me just to buy organic eggs --- It is still not the same.
Good job Pete and Cathy!

Anonymous said...

I like your pictures. You are very blessed. Lilly is so darling; she has a mind of her own. love you. The mom.

Mary said...

I told David about the eggs and he suggested saving our egg cartons for you so that you will have a space to put your new eggs.

I love that you have chickens!